Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Help. Car won't start. Steering wheeel feels locked in

Customer Question

Help. Car won't start. Steering wheeel feels locked in place. Happened once a couple years ago and it seemed to have to do with steering wheel being locked in place and turning the wheel. GLK(###) ###-####
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: Sort of tried to but no success.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?
Customer: GLK 350
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tried applying pressure to wheel while turning key and tried spare key.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is about it. When las driven last night it was backed into space and wheel might not have been straight.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately what happens is the electronic steering lock fails.It fails to release and causes the no start.This is a safety feature so as the vehicle is not started when the steering wont unlock which could cause issues when trying to drive with a locked steering wheel.

The lock is under the steering column behind the steering wheel area.It binds and fails to release.In some cases it will release on its own after the vehicle sits or when tapped on and in other cases it needs replaced.The overall correction though even if you can get it to release is to replace it as it will act up again unfortunately.

There is a technical service bulletin out on this issue ( bulletin number LI80.57-P-051521 to replace the lock).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihbgtfn3dxsv765/lo-07-24.gif?dl=0

Labor to have it replaced is 1.3 hours and the lock itself can run around $200 to $300 in some cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete