Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Key will not turn the switch. Can turn the wheel, its a 94

Customer Question
key will not turn the...
key will not turn the switch
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes can turn the wheel, its a 94 sl500
JA: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: oil in the switch slot & rocking the car. also cannot get it out of Park
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all i have
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 3 days by:
7/27/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With what you have described here this sounds like the common mechanical fault of the cylinder itself.I have seen the cylinder tumblers fail or bind in it causing this issue with the cylinder needing replaced.Usually the cylinder and housing need replaced when it will not turn to allow the cylinder to be removed.

In order to get it out of park with the cylinder not turning the shifter linkage has to be disconnected from the transmission unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 3 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic