Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a mercedes airstream interstate that I was driving up

Customer Question
to flagstaff AZ. As I...
I have a mercedes airstream interstate that I was driving up to flagstaff AZ. As I was driving the display showed a Coolant Temperature gauze 100-300 degrees with the reading close to 175. Is that indicating trouble? Is it okay to drive the vehicle?
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 12000
JA: What year is your Flagstaff?
Customer: The sprinter is a 2015 airstream interstate
JA: Are you fixing your Flagstaff yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Flagstaff is a city at a a high elevation in Arizona. The indicator came on when I was driving up the freeway to Flagstaff.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Will I get a call in the next few minutes?
7/5/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

on your vehicle is this a digital display of the temperature or is this an aftermarket add on gauge?

the reason i ask is that the cluster ony shows needles of fuel, speed and tachometer.

if you have a pic of the display that would be great to see please

thanks!!

Wolfgang, thanks for responding.
There is a small digital display for messages between my speedometer and tachometer. I have no way to check engine temperature on a gauge as I am driving and don't have my owner's manual with me to understand the display.
What happened was, when I was climbing to a high elevation (about 5000 feet on the freeway at 70-75mph at about 2500 to 3000 rpm, a image of a thermometer showed up with a ball at the bottom where the baseline was 100 and a tube extending upwards with a max of 300. The temperature was reading about 175-200. Since it was in the upper thirds of the thermometer, I'm worried and wanted to see if it's safe to do the 450 miles back home and what I should look for.
Also, after a nights rest I cycled thru the display messages and the thermometer image is gone and the display reads "No Messages".
I plan to drive home today.
I there any thing i should be worried about at this point?
Can I call you if I have an issue on the road?
I have a pretty desolate stretch of highway from the Grand Canyon to Los Angeles area with no cities on the way with a reliable mercedes mechanic on the way that I know of. I will be driving back on the 40 freeway.
IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE WITHOUT DAMAGING THE ENGINE?
Is it okay to drive the vehicle at 2000-3000 rpm? The red section is at 4000 rpm.
I am available to talk now if you are able to talk with me.
Thanks is advance for your response.

please see phone call request !!

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician