Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have mecedes 560sl, i have lost the key, is any posibility…

Customer Question
Hi good day Mechanic's...

Hi good day

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

I have mecedes 560sl , i have lost the key, is any posibility to make a key, or i need to replace the the all system, it is 1987 model. i bought it from USA

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

I just bought it from auction in US and they send the car without key

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 560SL?

1987

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 560SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I brought the key maker to cut new key , but it does not start with his key, his new key can open the door only

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, i just want to start the car, to find out what else need to be done, but for now i need to find the key first, i dont want to break it, and replace all keys, i like to keep it as original

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
7/5/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the master key only opens the doors it means that the ignition lock cylinder was replaced at some time in the past. In that case you will need to purchase a replacement lock cylinder with key. There is no way to cut a key for a replacement cylinder. If you want to keep the car original you can order a coded lock cylinder from the Mercedes dealer that will match your existing key.

Let me know if you need anything else.