MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Would a dirty air filter in my Mercedes GL350 Bluetec cause

Customer Question

Would a dirty air filter in my Mercedes GL350 Bluetec cause the check engine light to come on?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on since it came on yesterday on the way home from work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2012 GL350 Bluetec with 47K miles.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan to replace the air filter tomorrow mo
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

In most cases a dirty air filter will not cause the check engine light to come on unless its extremely dirty and causing restricted air flow and changing it will sure not hurt at all. That being said, the check engine light comes on when the computer systems sees a system fault and when this happens the computer will detect it and set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is causing this you are going to need to start with having the computer system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. Once you have done this post back with them and I can direct you in determining the cause. Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will run a scan for you at no charge.