Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  master tech benz ase cerified L1 and L2
19871424

I have a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter with a chassis mount camper.

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter with a chassis mount camper. I recently towed a trailer which apparently had fault faulty running lights and now I have no tail, clearance, or license plate lights. The hazard, turn signal, and brake lights are working. I checked every fuse on the two fuse panels but all checked out as OK. After checking blogs online, I suspect the problem may be with the front (?) SAM. I'm pretty much old school on auto wiring and I know absolutely noting about them, how they work, if they can be reset, or even where to find them on the Sprinter.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: The brake fluid canister if full with clean fluid. It is the original mfg fluid, which is about one year old.
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only checked all of the fuses, which are OK. The lights were ALL working prior to connecting the bumper pull trailer with faulty circuitry.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about it. Tomorrow I will disconnect the battery to see if that will get something to reset.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a vin # to get the factory information to assist!!

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
VIN - WDAPF4CCXG9650845
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

ok this will take some time for me to trace the circuit out . once i have a game plan i will get back . is that ok?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a game plan yet for solving the running light problem ? Disconnected the battery today hoping it might reset something, but it didn't solve the problem.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

im sorry for the delay being that this is a conversion info is harder to get

please see attachment. did you check the fuses under the drivers seat? are the tail lamps led or normal ?

please do let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have checked all the fuses under the driver's seat; they all check as OK. The tail lamps are normal bulbs.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the attachment you sent and I am not sure how relative the VW Jetta fuse designations are when applied to the MBSprinter vehicle. The chassis mount camper is a Coachmen - Prism model.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

i'm sorry my bad wrong file here is the correct file.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is much better. The same book that came with the Sprinter and I used for checking the fuses. I couldn't find anything listed for the lights, except for a Courier, which did not affect the lights on this vehicle.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

need to see what the SAM is reading . so scan test is needed. by looking at the diagram the sam controls the lights there is no particular fuse for that . these campers makes my life alot harder because of the conversion!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess it it time to take the MBS unit to a mechanic, as I don't see the SAM pre-fuse box in either the battery compartment in the footwell, or under the driver side seat. If the one under the driver side seat is mounted under the fuse panel, I don't want to disassemble it for access and risk causing greater problems.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.
The Sam is where the fuse box on the left kick panel.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
SAM checked out OK. The problem is with a circuit board for the running/brake lights installed by the RV mfg. Thanks for your assessments.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.
My pleasure. Any other issues down the road you can request me. Have a safe one.