Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Second opinion] I have a 2012 GL 550 with 90K on it. At 80K

Second opinion] I have a 2012 GL 550 with 90K on it. At 80K service, dealer did a transmission fluid thing that seemed a lot like a blood transfusion as it was being explained to me. Since that time I have had the alignment adjusted due to what seems to be road noise caused by misalignment. The adjustments were minimal and did not solve the issue.
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: October 2016
JA: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: alignment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the road noise diminishes when turning to the right a speeds over 40

Hi, my name is***** the noise diminishes when you turn to the right I'd suspect a noisy wheel bearing or a noisy tire tread. I would not suspect a fault with the transmission or with the wheel alignment.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I eliminated the alignment issue by having adjustments made. I did not think the transmission itself would cause this, but wasn't sure if a step in the process may have contributed. As for the tires, I have changed summer to winter and then new summer tires up front since this noise started. There are no abnormal wear patterns on the winters or new summers.I am now pretty confident that the issue is with the wheel bearings.Thank you for your opinion on this issue.

You're quite welcome. Typically it will be a wheel bearing or tire tread issue. If the noise goes away when you swerve to the right I'd suspect the right front wheel bearing or tire causing the problem.