Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 1998 mercedes ML 320, 220k miles. Driving and wudnt

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1998 mercedes ML 320, 220k miles. Driving and wudnt go above 40 mph. Then briefly got to 60 mph then de-escalarated??
JA: What is the model of your '98 Mercedes?
Customer: ML 320
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it's fixed by a mechanic. I generally order and provide the part(s). I have had all the routine/preventative maintenance done.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think pf of
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has the check engine light come on with this fault here at all or have fault codes been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
check engine light has been coming off and on periodically over past 6 months. Had been checked and I was informed that it was just a matter of having something reset
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Even though it was already checked once it is a good idea to have it checked again with this issue that is occuring.This light should never come on unless there is a fault in the vehicle needing repaired.

I have seen issues with the throttle control valve needing replaced, a weak fuel pump acting up intermittently needing replaced or an issue with a restricted catalytic converter which was very common on this model here.One of these is most likely the culprit needing replaced.

Have the codes re checked ( even a local parts store can do this at no charge to you) and see what codes are set as this will help to pinpoint the fault.Like I said though,the light should never come on unless there is a component acting up needing repaired or replaced to resolve this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete