Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2006 E350 rwd base model sedan I think I lost the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 E350 rwd base model sedan I think I lost the sprocket for my cam shafts because I was driving it and it put out a giant cloud of white smoke and now it has no compression and I found large chunks of metal in the oil and oil filter my question is if the timeing gear striped and bent the valves is it cost effective to replace the motor or rebuild the one I have
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: the motor was running fine until it died I will tell you I was taking off from a dead stop and had the throttle to the floor when it went out
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: sorry don't see the arrow to minimize you
JA: What year is your Sedan?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: so far I have took apart the front of the motor dawn to the cam shaft sprockets
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that it is not locked up and I have found chunks of metal in the oil
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** you have lost the timing chain and bent valves it would be best to locate a lower mileage used engine. The cost of replacing the valves and the possible additional damage to the heads and pistons makes it unreasonable to try and rebuild your old motor. You can usually locate used motors on Car-Part.com.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty