Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2013 Mercedes Benz E350 Matic. The starter fuse

I have a 2013 Mercedes Benz E350 Matic. The starter fuse keeps blowing? I have included a picture of the location of the fuse that keeps blowing. I think it is the starter fuse because every time I try to turn over the engine it pops? I have replaced the starter but still the fuse blows.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture included

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. is this a convertible, couple or sedan?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, its a 4 door sedan

thank you please standby

can you confirm if this is the fuse

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Conformation is correct fuse location number 7 and a 20 amp fuse

ok. please standby. thank you

pull the starter relay. check for 12 volts on any hole on the relay plug.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which one would be the starter relay?

standby

if you have an owners manual you might want to look in there while i am trying to find it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have an owners manual but for some reason there are no diagrams for fuses or relays. They just show where the location of the fuse boxes.

ok. i believe this is it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please stand by

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That relay is good

Im not worried about the relay being good. please check for 12 volts in one of the slots with the key off.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok Please stand by
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok i think were on to something there is no voltage going to the starter relay

ok, not in any slot?

make sure you have a good fuse in the slot

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced a a new fuse in fuse location number 7 and put my tester in the realy slots and did not register anything

ok, now try it with the key on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is reregistering 11.20 volts

ok. just in 1 slot?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No in one slot the highest voltage reading was 2.20 and the other side was like 1.35

so you have no voltage anywhere with the key off. and 11.20 volts in only 1 slot with the key on? (im not worried about the smaller voltage readings)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only doing 1 slot method with the key on or off it is a was low voltage in both readings

Im out of ideas, Im going to open this up to other techs who are more familiar with this system. good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you but what voltage is suppose to register?

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** you please post the last 8 digits of your vin number?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Marty the last 8 are da720808

Thank you, ***** ***** replaced the starter relay?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yw I have not because I looked at it with my muilt meter look to be good

The starter relay is the relay at position M in the relay box. There is a diode in the relay that may be shorted and is causing the fuse to blow. If the wrong relay is installed it will also cause the problem. The correct part number for the relay is 002 542 23 19 or 002 542 76 19. Remove the relay and see if the fuse blows when you turn the key on. If the fuse does not blow I would replace the relay. I've attached a picture of the relay location below.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will do that once I get home. But what if the due does blow what is the next thing to do?

Let's not worry about the next step right now. I need to know the outcome of this test first. Just reply back this evening with the results.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI Marty, I removed the starter relay and tried to start the car, the fuse did not pop. However I switched the relay from the Q location which has the same part number but instead of being a yellow color it is the green one switch those around and the fuse did not blow or the car did not start either?
Is there a part number on your starter relay?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A 002 542 74 19 the car was running prior
That's not the correct relay. Is it possible someone swapped them with another relay? Do you have a green relay in the box?
The green relay belongs in position M. You posted a picture early on that shows it in the wrong position.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure but I swapped the and still no start? But the fuse is not blowing
Ok, the green relay belongs in there. Now you need to find why your starter is not working. Remove the green relay and insert a fused jumper wire from terminal 30 to 87 in the relay slots and see if the starter turns.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing happen you think it might be short to grind
Can you send me a picture of your jumper installed?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried in every way possible, still nothing?Maybe you can send me where to put the jump wire because there are two 87 and 87a. That would be great if you can

The bottom of your relay should be numbered. Jump from terminal 3 to 5 in the box. You should be using a fused jumper lead in case you short something out. If you have no starter operation when jumping from 3 to 5 you need to recheck fuse #7. If the fuse is good and there is 12V present at slot 3 in the box it would indicate a fault with your new starter or with the wiring to the starter. I'm assuming that your battery is fully charged. I've attached a picture of the relay terminals you need to jump in the box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that's what I did car did not turn over. Does the ignition have to be on?

Yes the key must be on in order to get power to terminal 3 in the box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried that still no start but the good news is that fuses are not blowing anymore

Ok, you need to make sure that you have 12V at the jumper wire when the key is on. If you have 12V to the wire it indicates a fault with the new starter or the connections to the starter. Place the wire in terminal 3 and measure the voltage then place it in terminal 5 and measure the voltage. One of the two slots should have 12V with the key on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I got 10.5 volts from 30 slot when I turned the key over
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think battery needs to be charge the batt is also 10.5v
you definitely need to charge the battery.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a jump box on it what should I look for next?
Do you have 12V at the battery and the relay terminal with the jump box connected?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is correct
still no starter operation when you jump the two terminals? If that is the case you need to check the voltage at the starter with the fused jumper installed. You should be getting 12V to the small wire on the starter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'm going to remove that starter and measure the voltage. Is there an ez way removing this starter took me forever the first time

I would just connect to the small wire at the starter with a test lead in order to measure the voltage. I would not remove the starter just yet. Click on the image below. Connect your test light or positive voltmeter lead to terminal #3 in the picture then install your jumper lead in the relay box and see if you have 12V at the starter. If you do then I would say your new starter is defective.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The image is just for an example? Because my starter is located on the drive side?

Yes, it is probably relocated on the 4matic models.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi MartyI removed the starter and tried to turn it using a 12v and the start gear went up but did not turn? Does that sound right?

Yes that sounds like the starter motor is bad. The gear should extend and the starter motor should turn when energizing the starter solenoid. Send me a picture of how you performed your test so I can be sure that you did it correctly.

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.