Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

WHILE DRIVING APPROX 2000 MILES ON VACATION THE 97 E300D RAN

Customer Question

HI , WHILE DRIVING APPROX 2000 MILES ON VACATION THE 97 E300D RAN FINE AND STARTS QUICKLY , HOWEVER AFTER DRIVING APPROX 75-80 MPH WE CAME TO A REST STOP ( LEVEL GROUND ) , TH E CAR SAT FOR MAYBE 10 MINUTES AND WOULD NOT RESTART , ENGINE TURNS FINE , GLOW PLUG LIGHT , RADIO , HEATER FAN , LIGHT AND SO ON O.K. , FUEL IS 3/4 FULL , I TRIED TO CHECK THINGS UNDER HOOD , FUSES O.K. , RECYCLED DOOR LOCKS WITH KEY FOB SEVERAL TIME BUT STILL NO START , CAR IS 135 MILES AWAY AND I'M GOING TO TRAILER IT HOME TOMORROW , UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE NO EXPERIENCED M/B SHOPS IN AREA , THE CAR HAS 212K , I AM FORD MASTER CERTIFIED BUT THIS DOES NOT HELP MUCH WITH A BENZ , I'VE READ SEVERAL POSTS WHICH POINT TO A K40 RELAY ( WHEREVER THAT IS ) , ANY HELP BEFORE WE MAY TORCH THE CAR ! THANKS , FRANK
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: THE GLOW PLUG LIGHT GOES ON WHEN THE KEY IS IN STARTING POSITION THAN GOES ON QUICKLY SINCE THE ENGINE IS WARM FROM INTERSTATE TRAVEL JUST BEFORE SHUTTING IT OFF AT THE REST STOP
JA: What is the model of your '00 Mercedes?
Customer: SORRY ITS A 97 E300D
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I OWN A RESTORATION SHOP AND RETIRED FROM FORD AS A MASTER TECH , SO TRYING TO GET CLUES ON REPAIR , I WILL BRING THE CAR HOME TOMORROW ON MY CAR TRAILER , SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION NOTHING BUT CHECKING FUSES , LOCKING AND UNLOCK DOORS AND TRUNK WITH THE FOB IN CASE IT WENT TO A SECURITY MODE
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: CAN'T THINK OF MUCH , MAYBE I SHOULD WITH UNTIL TOMORROW SO THE CAR IS HERE AND I CAN TRY ANY SUGGESTIONS THE TECH MAY HAVE
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** relay can certainly cause a no start. This car uses an electric fuel shut off actuator. If the relay is bad you may not be getting power to the actuator on the side of the injection pump. The first thing to do is to check your voltage to the actuator with the key on. You should have 12V to pin 3 (yellow/black wire) with the key on. The actuator should audibly click when you turn the key on. If you have no voltage to the actuator you should check the fuses in the K40 relay for power with the key on. The relay is located in the module compartment under the hood at the right rear. I've attached a picture below.

Let me know what you find.

Marty