Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Air conditioning fan blowing warm air anytime outside temps

Customer Question
reach 80degrees or higher. I...
Air conditioning fan blowing warm air anytime outside temps reach 80degrees or higher. I hear the fan pulsating at times. When stop, shut off the car, basically reset the ignition system, sometimes it works normally.... very spuratic.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?
Customer: Not yet, tomorrow a mechanic looks at it, what other items could it be realistically. Single father of four, not able to afford a $2k repair.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2009 MB GL450
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, but I can, I thought a fan motor relay maybe the issue..... I'm willing to try
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ask him if he has a maintenance free MB GL450 available?
JA: The Mercedes Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: Very true
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
5/9/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 6 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the a/c blows warm air when the temperature rises more than likely the system is low on refrigerant. The first thing to do is to get the system evacuated and recharged to be sure there is adequate refrigerant in the system. If the system is fully charged the system pressures and fault codes will need checking. One of the most common failures is the a/c compressor itself. If the fan speeds are going up and down there may also be a fault with the blower motor or the blower regulator but neither of those would cause the system to blow warm air. I would first check the refrigerant level and the compressor operation for this problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Thank you Marty, what other items could cause this issue. I want to be armed with information before I visit the mechanic.
Question: may I buy the can of refrigerant and charge the system myself? It appears auto supply stores sell the bottles to charge the system. Is it regular refrigerant or a new improved version for my 2009 MB GL450?

Sorry for the wait I was leaving work when I replied and did not see that you had replied until now. The a/c system on the ML is fairly reliable. The a/c compressor is the item that tends to fail most often. Low refrigerant is certainly a possibility but I would not recommend blindly charging the system with a can of refrigerant from the parts store. The only way to be sure that the proper amount of refrigerant is in the system is to completely evacuate the system and recharge it. Your ML uses R134a refrigerant. Other possibilities are a restriction in the system which would be evident by the system pressures. If the refrigerant proves to be low it is due to a leak in the system which will eventually need to be located and repaired.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you...... I see I paid for a "call in Service" for $26. I simply asked for the $5 service via these emails. Please credit me the $26 at your earliest convenience.

Good morning, there was no phone call charged to your account that I can see. The charge for the online chat is $31. The $5 is just a deposit. Sorry for the confusion. I suggest you contact customer service if you have any questions. Click here for the contact info. I will also send them a note for you.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician