Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My 2002 clk430 climate control is displaying "OFF" on both

Customer Question

my 2002 clk430 climate control is displaying "OFF" on both driver and psgr sides. the "EC" light is on, but will not turn off, and the rest of the climate control buttons are unresponsive.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the little red indicator light on the EC button
JA: Are you fixing your CLK430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, the car has been sitting unstarted for 18 months. it would not start until I replaced the bad fuel pump this morning, and it seems to be running fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sunroof is acting up- wont's shut all the way-- Ivecleanined and lubricated to no avail
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

When the EC button is lit up this indicates that the climate control head has a fault code set.This may be due to the climate control head itself at fault needing replaced or a large number or other heater or ac components like sensors and solenoids or actuators at fault needing replaced which may be disabling the climate control from operating.

What has to be done from here is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.Once located and repaired then the codes are cleared out with the same scan tool which will then turn off the EC light and the climate control will then operate.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete