Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2011 GLK 350 has a message that came up saying BRAKE, EBD,

Customer Question

2011 GLK 350 has a message that came up saying BRAKE, EBD, ABS & ESC inoperative. Just put a new battery in last week.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?
Customer: No brakes have not
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?
Customer: There is a lot of black dust on the wheels
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: GLK 350
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not tried to fix it - the message just came up on the way home today -
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, the car with the skidding light came on saying OFF on the fuel, temp gauge, and the circle with ABS came on the RPM gauge - the other message with BRAKE, EBD, ABS & ESC inoperative is on the center speedometer.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** warning lights are telling you that the anti-lock brake system and the traction control system is inoperative. This is normally due to a faulty sensor in the system. You will need to get the car connected to a Mercedes tester to check for fault codes stored in the memory of the traction control module. The fault codes will point to the faulty sensor or module. Usually this turns out to be a fault with one of the wheel speed sensors but there are other possibilities as well. The black dust on the wheels is normal dust coming from the Mercedes brake pads. The brake linings should be checked but low brake linings are not the cause of the warning lights.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty