Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

My key won't start my car and it won't lock it. Do I have to

Customer Question

My key won't start my car and it won't lock it. Do I have to replace the key? I already changed the batteries on the key but it doesn't work.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** before I'm able to help I need to know the year and model of your Mercedes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
E500 2005

Yes the first thing I would do is replace the key as long as you are sure the vehicle's main battery is not dead.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But if the main battery is dead, wouldn't the key still lock and unlock the car?

No, the locks need battery power to operate. Does the dash light up when you open the door or anything? If it does, then the vehicle battery is not dead.