Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1988 merc 560SL. When engine running there is a strong…

Customer Question
My 1988 merc 560SL...

My 1988 merc 560SL. When engine running there is a strong smell of gasoline inside car. No gas observed on driveway. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts as usual, not really gas hog, do very little mileage, perhaps 60 miles per week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 560SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only just noticed this week, wondering if I can get it on a lift somewhere to see if a hose has a pinhole leak. Intend to pick up a new gas and oil filter today.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thank you, ***** ***** mention engine sometimes hesitates for a second while driving.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
4/13/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- 2 Areas you need to check, the fuel injector and the fuel line under the car at the fuel pump and filter

2- I would suspect fuel around the engine are if you smelling it thru the vent inside the car

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will have items 1 and 2 checked out - any estimates on costs by a mechanic. Thank you.

Something like these , should not be more than 1 hour to trouble shoot , plus parts

so here like in SC ,where I live , $100 labor olus parts, fuel pump & fuel filter $150

if the injectors or injector module , that could be more expensive $700 to $1000

And also could be a rubber hose return line, clamps, weak at connetion, and that around $30 parts

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

If You Are Using A Free Trial Or Have A Subscription A Positive Rating Of 3 Stars Or Above Is Required For Me To Be Compensated

For My Time & Resources .

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat