Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 clk just won't start but I hear the starter

Customer Question
My 2003 clk just...

My 2003 clk just won't start but I hear the starter cranking. Also, I noticed that the auto shifter is stuck in the park position when I switch the ignition to the @2 position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Everything works like radio. I have not tried turning the steering wheel yet. No malfunction on cluster.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?

CLK 320 W209

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wanted to check the fuses in the engine compartment but I don't have a tester.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It seems that no fuel is being fed into the engine so it might also be a fuel pump sensor or something.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to start again & tried moving the trans shifter & it shifts. Also, the steering wheel is not locked but hard to trun because engine is not running.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This problem started after not using the car for a couple of days so the engine is cold.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It might bea crankshaft position sensor malfunction too but how do I check that?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/23/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be going on and it's going to require some testing to determine the cause of the problem. You could be missing fuel due to a pump issue or loss of power or ground to it, you may be missing spark for a number of reasons, it could be a cam timing issue, fuel quality or an exhaust restriction.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan too or code reader to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician