sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

What dose the supercharger do on a 2500 sprinter van, 2013,

Customer Question

what dose the supercharger do on a 2500 sprinter van
JA: What year is your Sprinter?
Customer: 2013
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: when I plug in supercharge I get white smoke after I drive van at idle and about 1 minute later it clear up
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 112700 mile and no loss of oil or antifreeze
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what turn the supercharger on and off
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

The Sprinter 2500 doesnt have a supercharger. It does have a turbocharger though.

The basic idea is that the exhaust drives the turbine (the red fan), which is directly connected to (and powers) the compressor (the blue fan), which rams air into the engine. For simplicity, we're showing only one cylinder. Here then, in summary, is how the whole thing works:

1. Cool air enters the engine's air intake and heads toward the compressor.
  2. The compressor fan helps to suck air in.
  3. The compressor squeezes and heats up the incoming air and blows it out again.
  4. Hot, compressed air from the compressor passes through the heat exchanger, which cools it down.
  5. Cooled, compressed air enters the cylinder's air intake. The extra oxygen helps to burn fuel in the cylinder at a faster rate.
  6. Since the cylinder burns more fuel, it produces energy more quickly and can send more power to the wheels via the piston, shafts, and gears.
  7. Waste gas from the cylinder exits through the exhaust outlet.
  8. The hot exhaust gases blowing past the turbine fan make it rotate at high speed.
  9. The spinning turbine is mounted on the same shaft as the compressor (shown here as a pale orange line). So, as the turbine spins, the compressor spins too.
  10. The exhaust gas leaves the car, wasting less energy than it would otherwise.

See attached diagram for the above reference steps in how a turbo works.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my van has a supercharger on the back of the turbo
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Is it belt driven?

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

I will opt out as I am not familiar with this setup on a Sprinter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thank you anyways
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
need some one that works on 2500 sprinter vans

Are you able to upload a picture of what you're referring to as a supercharger?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no its on the back of the turbo and its has a black electric box that control the gateway handel

You're describing the turbo.

What does the smoke smell like?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
fuel it only dose when you drive down the road and come to a stop and then smoke will clear in about a minute act like waste gate dose not close fast enough when you unplug controller and drive van with out it no smoke at all when you come to a stop
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
White fuel smoke is caused by cold combustion due to excessive fuel being injected. The problem is almost surely one or more worn injectors. A cylinder contribution test as well as an injector kill test will need to be done with a scan tool to isolate the offending cylinders.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already replaced all 6 injector
That information was not previously posted.What was the part number of the injectors installed?What testing was done to determine they needed to be replaced?Is there any other necessary information that was omitted?