Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My 2004 C Class Meredes turns on; has an ESP and check

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My 2004 C Class Meredes turns on; has an ESP and check Engine light; and will not reverse; thus not allowing me to back out of my driveway. Thank you.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: I need to check. It started yesterday. I have not tried to reverse/backout this morning. I'll go warm the car up now and see what i get.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Mercedes?
Customer: It says "Visit Workshop" and Engine Light is staying on. C class-240.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not sure. It just started. I am looking for help and have the manual and on-line help before I result to a local mechanic. Thank you.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it also stated "Malfunction". Could it be a sensor?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** you please post the last 8 digits of your vin number?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
JX4A636911
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. Thank you. I am fine with receiving communication here.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Ok, do you have any way to read the fault codes in the ECU and the ESP module?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have the C-Class Sedan Operator's Manual. Do you mean inside the car?
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

No, I am referring to a code reader. There will be fault codes stored in the ECU and the ESP module that will help to diagnose the problem. Have you tried shifting the car out of park this morning?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I did just now and it reads the engine oil level is low- 1 malfunction(check oil when engine is off). It will attempt to reverse but that's about it.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

What do you mean when you say it will attempt to reverse? Are you able to move the shifter from park into reverse?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Ok, but the car won't move backwards?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Correct. It sounds a little idled(different also). It said to check oil. I think I need an oil change.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Yes but low engine oil level will not cause this problem. It sounds like there may be a fault with the electronic throttle actuator. Are you able to rev the engine in park? Will the car even creep backwards or forwards? Is the parking brake released?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The car starts good; but i am unable to accelerate on the peddle; it does not go backwards and moves forward slightly.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Are you able to rev the engine in park? I want to know if the engine responds to the throttle pedal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Ok, so this sounds like a fault with the electronic throttle actuator circuit. Possible faults would be the actuator itself has failed or the sensor in the throttle pedal has failed. If the motor will not respond when you press the throttle you will need to have these items tested.

Expert:  Marty replied 8 months ago.

Hi, just checking in. Did you get this problem resolved?