Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2004 sprinter. It's 30 degrees outside, and my

Customer Question

I have a 2004 sprinter. It's 30 degrees outside, and my engine temperature gauge says it running much hotter than normal with the cooling fan running. I checked the coolant reservoir ,and when I took off the radiator cap there wasn't much pressure. And the coolant was only warm not hot which makes me wonder if there is a faulty sensor that operates the temp gauge?
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: Where do I find them
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried calling my shop, but they can't see it until Tuesday . I'm suppose to be leaving on a road trip Sunday. I've haven't tried anything yet, other than trying to figure out what's going on, and speaking with you. I suspect that the sensors are on the entry of the engine just past the radiator hose.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Probably, but I can't think of what it might be
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

it does sound like the temp sensor has failed , this happens from time to time, if you give me your vin i can get you the location of the sensor, also its worth a shot to do a "global reset" that is where you take the battery cables off the battery and touch them together, it will drain all of the capacitors in the modules and reset them no different than doing a hard reset on your cell phone or home modem by removing the power supply. Lou P.