Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

The steering wheel adjustment is not working, moving up and

Customer Question

The steering wheel adjustment is not working, moving up and down even when the it is locked
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: No, I just unlocked it then adjusted the wheel then locked it again but it kept moving
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: Mercedes c200 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, but still didn't try anything but watched a video showing how to fix it through removing the under cover and putting a metal clip in a whole at the end of the wheel from inside
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nop. And what will happen then? After paying?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** you looking for the instructions to replace the mechanical steering column adjustment lock?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Marty,
I am looking for an easy fix, if you mean by the lock a small piece not the whole column then yes. Something I can do at home with basic tools
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

If you are fairly handy you could probably repair this yourself. You will need to replace the mechanical lock slide. It is item number 20 in the diagram below. I can send you detailed workshop instructions for doing this yourself. It should take you about an hour to install. I've sent you an additional service offer for the workshop instructions. Let me know if you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** info you provided I already read on the free version before having to pay 31$, thought you can help more before having to pay extra 10$. I saw this peice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On the internet, that it is a quick fix for my problem .. what do you think?
Expert:  Marty replied 9 months ago.

It's worth a try. They can break in different ways. If you can put a pin in yours and get it to lock down it would work for awhile. I would avoid adjusting the column once you get it locked. Sorry about the additional service fee. I have to pay a subscription to the data provider. It's just a way for me to recoup some of the cost. I've attached instructions for removing the paneling below the dash that should be helpful.