Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I need to replace the serpetine belt on a 2000 ML with a 270

I need to replace the serpetine belt on a 2000 ML with a 270 CDI engine (OM612). Do I need to remove the fan in front of the engine?
JA: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: The tensioner and idle pulley seems to make a high pitch noise. I have replaced several V-type belts on other cars
JA: What is the model of your '00 Mercedes?
Customer: M-class 270 CDI (diesel)
JA: Are you fixing your M-Class yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I fix it myself. So far only tried to get the wrench on the tensioner, but very little space...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nop, I only want to know if I can leave the radiator fan in place whilst replacing the belt

Hi, my name is***** you do not need to remove the fan to replace the serpentine belt. You simply rotate the tensioner to relieve the tension on the belt and insert a pin (a 4mm drill bit works fine) to lock the tensioner in place. If you would like, I can send you the detailed factory workshop instructions for this procedure.

Just checking in. Did you get the job done?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Marty,
I did take out the fan. the diesel engine has 5 cilinders, moving the front of the engine very close to the fan. this leaves hardly any space to work. i didreplace theidler and tensioner right away. thanks.
diederick

Excellent! Glad you got it done. If you would please take a moment to rate my service on this question I would appreciate it.

Marty