Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Have all power and a newer battery as well, but no crank

Customer Question
when the key is turned...
Have all power and a newer battery as well, but no crank when the key is turned, just the fuel pump and silence, it ran perfect yesterday, today nothing....
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mercedes
1/5/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Tim, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Any security system warnings or messages? Test all your fuses for power on both sides with the key in the on position with a test meter or light. If okay, check your relays by swapping one at a time with a known good one. Test the battery with a battery tester for its internal condition( bad cells, etc) , check all battery to starter connections including all grounds. If okay verify if you got power at the starter solenoid small wire S terminal with the key switch in the cranking position. If so and the starter does not crank it means a faulty starter. Let me knwo

Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 10 months ago

Hi Tim, Did you get this resolved? If so please take a moment to rate my service as that is how the site credits my time for helping on the site.

Ok finally found time to check fuses and such, all are good, battery is new and tests 99% efficiency, the alarm works the steering wheel unlocks and the key is recognized, everything works except the locks won't lock, the lights flash and alarm works but the doors don't lock, the dash says remove key, call Tele service, and after key is removed it just says malfunction it started this 2 days before the starter no crank issue, could it be a starter lock out relay perhaps? I'm still waiting for the good relays I ordered to arrive, should this week. This car has never had any issues, at 109,000 and always maintained it still drives and accelerates like new, this all of a sudden problem is baffling.
Mercedes Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 9 months ago

Thanks for the update. Do you have access to a scan tool to see if you have any fault codes logged? It sounds like the security system has locked you out from starting the vehicle and disabled the vehicle. If this is the case you will likely need the dealer diagnostic computer connected to it to reprogram and update the parameters to reset the system and that is if there is no other faults that exists which will be revealed after resetting the software. Let em know if you can get any faults and be sure to test all fuses in all fuse boxes. Let me know

Is there a way to bypass this security/starter lock for a second just to see if that is definitely it? I only ask because if I have it towed in for service I'm probably going to trade it in on another newer mb, if I do so which model (s) and years do you recommend from your knowledge?
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson