Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 1988 TE that runs good when cold. After warm up it

Customer Question

I have a 1988 TE that runs good when cold. After warm up it hesitates badly under lad (from a dead stop)until up to speed, then it seems okay. Had tune up, new fuel filter, new fuel pumps.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** the basic tuning is good and the fuel filter was replaced I would have the fuel mixture checked and adjusted. Next would be a bad EHA valve on the side of the fuel distributor and next would be a bad air flow meter potentiometer. I'm assuming that the fuel pressure is good since the car runs well cold. It sounds like it leans out when hot thus the hesitation on acceleration.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Marty,
I will have my mechanic try your suggestions, hopefully tomorrow and I will let you know how we make out.
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good. I'll be here if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Marty
I have an appointment on Jan 11th to try out your ideas. Can't rate you till then.
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

I'll be here if you need anything.

Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in. How are you doing on this problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
MertyYour answer was not correct. My Mercedes mechanic found that water was getting into the distributor cap causing the car to miss/
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

Yes, moisture in the cap is a common problem but you stated that the car was tuned. Since you stated that the tune up was already done I focused on the fuel mixture. I mentioned in my answer that if the basic tuning was good (and it wasn't) that you need to focus on the overall mixture control. Checking the condition of the cap, rotor and ignition wires is part of a basic tune up. So in essence, my answer was correct. Glad you got it squared away.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was just tuned. New rotor cap?
Expert:  Marty replied 6 months ago.

A tune up is an ignition system tune. Anytime a car has a cap, rotor and wires it should be inspected.