Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 1988 TE that runs good when cold. After warm up it

Customer Question
hesitates badly under lad (from...
I have a 1988 TE that runs good when cold. After warm up it hesitates badly under lad (from a dead stop)until up to speed, then it seems okay. Had tune up, new fuel filter, new fuel pumps.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
1/4/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the basic tuning is good and the fuel filter was replaced I would have the fuel mixture checked and adjusted. Next would be a bad EHA valve on the side of the fuel distributor and next would be a bad air flow meter potentiometer. I'm assuming that the fuel pressure is good since the car runs well cold. It sounds like it leans out when hot thus the hesitation on acceleration.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Marty,
I will have my mechanic try your suggestions, hopefully tomorrow and I will let you know how we make out.

Sounds good. I'll be here if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Marty
I have an appointment on Jan 11th to try out your ideas. Can't rate you till then.

I'll be here if you need anything.

Just checking in. How are you doing on this problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MertyYour answer was not correct. My Mercedes mechanic found that water was getting into the distributor cap causing the car to miss/

Yes, moisture in the cap is a common problem but you stated that the car was tuned. Since you stated that the tune up was already done I focused on the fuel mixture. I mentioned in my answer that if the basic tuning was good (and it wasn't) that you need to focus on the overall mixture control. Checking the condition of the cap, rotor and ignition wires is part of a basic tune up. So in essence, my answer was correct. Glad you got it squared away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was just tuned. New rotor cap?

A tune up is an ignition system tune. Anytime a car has a cap, rotor and wires it should be inspected.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician