Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I just ran across this website. How does this work and what

Customer Question
are the charges please?...
I just ran across this website. How does this work and what are the charges please? I will need to get my wallet and get back to you. I have a Mercedes 722.6 Transmission throwing a single P2502 Code indicating Implausible Gear or Transmission Slipping. I just replaced the electronic conductor plate and connection to the harness.... now I am getting this code and in limp home mode.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Mercedes Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?
Customer: It is not being driven since this occurred. I replaced the conductor plate and the connector to the harness this week. Valve body was clean, Oil pan showed no particles. But after reassembly it drove perfect around town for the mornings stops and starts through all the gears. After a 3 mile 70mph drive up the interstate it geared down to first at a stop... then limp home mode with this P2502 Code. I am fairly mechanically inclined with Mercedes as a personal hobby.... but all of my sources of information shows a long list of possibilities for this code. ...from replacing the Transmission Control Unit to replacing the torque converter. Nothing seems to point to one source of trouble as all other references seem to throw multiple codes. I get only this one. I can clear it with a MBII OBDII Code Reader, but as soon as the vehicle moves forward it goes back into limp mode with this single code.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: Approximately what is the charge for a successful reply and I will make arrangements tomorrow to contact you all.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: It is 2001 S430 ... U.S.
JA: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fix item and diagnostic was listed above. If it is TCM or something simple I will fix. If it is a Torque Converter or requires trans removal I will have a qualified shop with proper lift do it. I am just trying to determine what the situation is.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it. I can answer any questions they may have.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 10 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

It sounds to me like the code reader you are using is not actually pulling the true codes from the transmission control unit just the generic code from the engine module stating there is an issue with the gear ratio . We need to get the actual fault code from the transmission control unit in order to go any further and really diagnose the issue . Also even if the recent repairs that you made were to actually fix the trans you would not know as the module will not allow the trans to shift correctly until the fault codes are erased from the transmission control unit . You need a Mercedes Benz Star diagnosis or a autel or snap on or Matco scan tool that can access the transmission module . If you get the codes return here to me and we can get this figured out . Lou P .

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you.

also get me the transmission fault codes or have your current codes properly erased and let me know if the issue still occurs. I will ALWAYS do what I can to help.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician