sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2006 0.7 l smart for 2 17.000 mi when accelerate wile

Customer Question

2006 0.7 l smart for 2 17.000 mi when accelerate wile driving loud low pitch noise ; does not when car is not moving. the harder accelerate the harder the noise
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: it is only 17.000 mi , i got it new . do not have the service manual or any other literature, do not know even where the filters are. Shame to say I was an auto-mechanic years ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your smart?
Customer: 2006 built in france
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I live in CA, but the only place that i know can service this car is ''Foreign Affairs'' place in FL.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This noise was present before, but only in the 1st gear while accelerating from place, but yesterday it appeared like engine start producing more power and taking more fuel and more smell of fuel in the garage. So everything is pointing at what you've said maybe the
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that could be causing the noise. If it only happens when moving then the problem is going to be a wheel bearing, abnormal tire wear, or it could be in the transmission.

Does the noise change or come and go when swerving?