Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a Mercedes 300CE 1989, the car takes a while to start

I have a Mercedes 300CE 1989, the car takes a while to start but it starts after cranking for a whiel more in the morings when it is cold, then when I press the accelerator and it goes " 2 2 2 2 2" and it will not accelerate and then after that if your lucky if it accelerates good , it will function good, but if it not functions after the 22222, it will stall the engine. What is this what can I check, I hope I explained well to you all!

Hi, my name is***** first thing I would do is check the fuses in the overvoltage protection relay. The relay powers the engine management system. If the fuses are blown or the relay is bad it will cause the car to be hard starting when cold and won't run well until it warms up. The relay is located behind the battery on your car. It is a small silver relay with a lid on the top with one or two fuses under the lid.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Marty: I am going to check the fuse box and I will let you know what I find. You are right the problem is that the car to be hard starting when cold and won't run well until it warms up. thank you!

You're quite welcome. Remember, this relay is located behind your battery.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Marti, thank you for responding. I have my mom at the hospital, please give me a chance to re check the car again on saturday and will get back to you with a response. But it is hard starting in cold and warm. thank you.

No problem at all. I'll wait to hear back from you. Hope your mom is okay.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Marty, I am sorry to bother you with this, can you please re-send me your answer, my computer deleted it from my inbox, it so that I can follow up with you, thank you for your attention to this. Henry

Her you go Henry.

The first thing I would do is check the fuses in the overvoltage protection relay. The relay powers the engine management system. If the fuses are blown or the relay is bad it will cause the car to be hard starting when cold and won't run well until it warms up. The relay is located behind the battery on your car. It is a small silver relay with a lid on the top with one or two fuses under the lid.

Let me know what you find.

Marty

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Marti, I had the opportunity to check the car and changed the relay with fuses and the car still keeps on struggling to start, crank and crank and crank until it starts in cold and with a warm engine, when I stop the engine and wait 5 or 10 minutes and restart again , the same thing happens until it starts, it doesn't start at the first or second crank it takes a while to started. What can this be?
Henry

Hi Henry, my next thought would be an air intake leak at the manifold or at the hoses. If you have an air leak it will cause difficulty starting. I would especially check the two hoses that connect to the idle air control valve. They have a habit of splitting at either end of the hose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Marti: thank you for responding. OK I will check these hoses tomorrow saturday as soon as I have a chance, I still have my mom at the hospital and I take care of her things, but I'll make time for this urgent matter because I need the car. Please show me by photograph where are these two hoses that connect to the idle control valve and the possible place at the manifold where you think that there might be an air intake leak. Thank you Marti, for this great help, when I finish this problem I will rate you and pay you what ever additional fee are owed for this help. once again Thank you..

Hi Henry, I've attached a picture below and marked the location of the idle control valve. You will need to check the hoses where they connect to the valve and then follow them to where they connect to the manifold. One of the hoses will be hard to check as it runs underneath the manifold.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Marti, sorry because I haven't responded but my mother is still at the hospital, she had pneumonia. You know how that is, very slow recovery, but this weekend, I'll make some time and I will try to check this problem on the car. Thank you for the photo of the engine, but my engine is different, but I will check this. I am not using this car now, because of this problem. Thank you once again and I'll keep you informed, Henry

Sounds good, Henry.