Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

The high beam headlights only come on if the lights are

Customer Question

The high beam headlights only come on if the lights are turned off and i pull back on the turn signal lever
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 03 Mercedes ML 500
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dont know what to try they both work when the lights are turned off and i pull back on the turn signal lever but if the lights are on as in the low beams and i push it forward to hi beams it doesnt switch them
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** would appear that you have a fault in the combination switch on the column. Since you can get the high beams to turn on when you pull the switch towards you it tells me that the entire circuit from the switch to the high beams is good. If they won't turn on when you push the lever away from you it would indicate a fault in the switch.

Let me know if you have any questions.