Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My 2010 GLK 350 won't start. Power windows, mirrors, and

Customer Question
turn signals don't work, but...
My 2010 GLK 350 won't start. Power windows, mirrors, and turn signals don't work, but power locks and radio do. I checked every fuse that made the least bit of sense. The steering wheel won't unlock and the car won't come out of park, so getting on a tow truck will be interesting. The car acts like it can't tell the key is in the "on" position, and we tried both keys. The car had worked fine less than two hours prior
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: No
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2011 GLK 350 Mercedes. I read your advise to a similar problem on how to get the car in natural so it can be towed but what do you think is the cause?
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to move the steering wheel back and forth as advised from an internet research and tried to jump it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
11/3/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you please post the last 8 digits of your vin number so I can look up some information on your model?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BF558801
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to call you.

Ok, all of the problems are caused by a faulty electronic steering lock. This has been a common failure on this model. The part sells for about $365 and takes about 3 hours to install including programming.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you today. If you need further assistance just reply back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually I watched a video on u tub that showed someone with the exact same problem flip the fob over and over trying to start the car. It took about 10 times. I tried it just now and it worked with just about the same number of tries. By the way I think telling someone you will answer their questions for $5 and then boosting the price to $26 for a ph call is a little sketchy.

You mentioned in your original post that you had tried both keys with no success. You will continue to have trouble with this and the steering lock will need to be replaced. Please understand that I have absolutely nothing to do with the charges. I am simply a Mercedes technician answering questions on the site.

Click here to download the service bulletin on this problem.

I also have nothing to do with the phone call prompt. I only get paid for helping you if you leave a positive rating for my service.

Are you still there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Marty
I was charged the $26 even though I declined the offer. Like I stated pretty sketchy!!

Hi, I apologize for the charges. Please contact customer service regarding this matter. I assure you they will take care of it.

How did you make out with the starting problem? Did it ever happen again?

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician