Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Mercedes benz ml350 radio not working

Customer Question
Mercedes benz ml350 radio not working
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wanted to greatly elaborate so you can help.
- Our head unit that came with the car seems possessed. The navigation has not worked for the longest time, a few years. No big deal.
- We have been dealing with a possessed radio for about the same amount of time.
- About 75% of the time when you turn on the car, it will display a black screen with a Mercedes symbol dead center. It is then stuck on whatever station you had on last. There is nothing you can do to get out of that screen and pull up the typical menu screen where you can switch stations, etc. None of the preset stereo buttons work, nor do any other buttons surrounding the stereo.
- About 25% of the time, maybe less, the normal menu appears and you can control everything as it should.
+++ There is no ryhm or reason to when it works perfectly, or when it does not work. NONE whatsoever that I can figure outPlease help, as this is extremely annoying, and I don't want to pay $ 800 to have it rebuilt as I was told by our service shop.Thank you, ***** ***** (###) ###-####
10/28/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and clamp or use a jumper wire to hold them together, turn key to on position and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then turn ignition off and remove key, reconnect battery cables at a time, positive first then negative. This should reset the system.

If this doesn't not work then you will most likely have to replace the unit.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Dan, thank you for your response.So, my main question is....... Have you seen this issue a lot ? And do you think there is a really good chance it will work ?To clarify, when I disconnect, I am just making sure I get a connection between the positive and negative ends of the cable ? Then I do as you say, and when I start the car, hopefully all will be good...Lastly, what is this reset doing actually ? Resetting the whole computer system in the car ? Is there any risk or perfectly safe ?Thank you so much, fingers crossed.

Its perfectly safe. Yes it is resetting all of the computers in the car including the radio. Hopefully it works out for you.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician