Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My "replace key battery" comes on in my cluster. I've

Customer Question

My "replace key battery" comes on in my cluster. I've changed the battery yet it stays on. How can I take it off in my 500 SL?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: yes. just 2 days ago
JA: What year is your SL?
Customer: 2013
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I did was respond to the instrument cluster saying "change key battery". So I did sucessfully with a new battery in my key, yet the instrument cluster doesn't recognize that I've done that
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

There is A TSB on this issue , Take to the dealer they will fix for free

I sent you the TSB for your review

Date: October 22, 2012 Order No.: S-B-80.61/59 Group: 80 SUBJECT: All Model Vehicles with Keys Having One Battery Instrument Cluster Message "Replace Key Battery" Appearing Soon After New Key Battery Replacement Customer Complaint: The message "Replace Key Battery" is displayed in the instrument cluster not long after the key battery was last replaced Condition/Background: If the battery was recently replaced and the customer has this message in the Instrument Cluster, Product Technical Support is interested in gathering more data to determine the root cause of this issue. Action: Please open and close a PTSS case and include as much of the following information that is possible to obtain: VIN - Vehicle's VIN Key Date Code - Date code of the key that is experiencing the issue (last 4 digits on barrel) 1st Batt Repl - The last time the customer came in to get a new battery in their key 2nd Batt Rep - The date that the customer came in with the low battery message in the instrument cluster, requiring another battery replacement Brand - The brand of the battery (Duracel, Panasonic, etc.) Source - Where the battery came from (e.g. the PDC, local Walmart, etc.) Tensioned - The last time the customer came in, were the key battery contacts tensioned? Enhanced - The last time the customer came in, were the key battery contacts cleaned/enhanced? Driving Frequency - How many times a day, on average, does the customer get in and out of their vehicle? Do they get in and out 20 times, 2 times, 8 times? Ride length - What is the average drive length per drive cycle? This is important because the KG system pings the keys every 5km for 20km - for a total of 5 times per drive cycle max. Driving habits - Where does the customer keep their key when driving? Parking Habits - Where does the customer park their car? Do they lock it? Do they keep the key in the vehicle overnight? When creating the case, please use the symptom string >Overall vehicle>Safety and locking system>Locks/locking/Remote closing mechanism>Discharged battery. Finally, replace the key battery with a new battery by lightly and carefully tension the contacts, cleaning the contacts using contact cleaner, and using a clean cloth to insert the battery into the key.

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

you can try taking the battery and clean it with contact cleaner if you like or let them do it .

I would this way if there is any recalls they will perform as well .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat