Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2007 ML350. Radio works after a cold start of the car, but

2007 ML350. Radio works after a cold start of the car, but only plays for a minute or so then there is no sound. The radio display stays lit and all the function buttons seem to work, just no sound. I think it may be the amplifier, and I am willing to replace it, but I can't find it. Doesn't seem to be under drivers seat, under back seat or, as far as I can tell, under the dash on the drivers side, near the firewall.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Battery is new and lights work fine.
JA: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mostly I have been looking for the amplifier.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most common to cause this issue here is a fault with the sound amplifier itself needing replaced.I have seen several of these fail on Mercedes needing replaced.It is located under the drivers side seat area under the paneling under the carpet if this helps.As shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1d6z3gsm05g0i2w/ls-10-17.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Pete,Thanks for answering.I removed the drivers seat and looked underneath but I don't see the amp. Is there anywhere else it may be? I've checked under the rear seats and found a voice module and a phone module but no amp. Have also looked inside the panels in the back quarter panel areas. Looked under the passenger seat as well. Is it possible it is in the glove compartment area behind the CD changer for example?Thanks for your help.Bob Gunderson
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete,Happy to call you but can't now as I am working.

When you removed the seat did you remove the paneling under the carpet to inspect for the sound amp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think I did but will check again. Probably later this afternoon, will let you know what I find.Thanks,Bob Gunderson

Let me know if you see anything.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete,I have removed the four torx-head bolts that secure the seat and have rocked the seat back to get underneath. Haven't disconnected any of the wiring or anything else. Under the carpet there is a black plastic cover which has only one fastener (a plastic nut) secured to the floor pan. I removed that but can only lift the plate an inch or so and can't see underneath. I don't feel anything under there. Is that where the amp is? How do I get to it? Will enclose a picture. A little blurry but I think you can see it.Thanks again for the help.

It does look to be under that paneling according to the picture I had posted above.You may have to remove more components on the floor to get this panel off to locate the amp but it should be under that panel.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to completely remove the seat? What else needs to come off to get to down there? Does the plastic in the door jam need to come out to get the carpet up? How is that attached?Thanks, Bob

Usually the seat does need removed completely then the carpet pulled up enough to access any more clips or nuts/screws holding this in place.My info does tell me for sure but this is usually how this is accessed from what I recall on this here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. It will be later this afternoon before I can try it.

No problem.I will be here off and on today and tomorrow.

Thanks Pete