Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ec light stuck on, ec lights for the air conditioner, 2002…

Ec light stuck on ...

Ec light stuck on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Ec lights for the air conditioner

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2002 e320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to reset the codes got Freon put in

10/10/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 5 years ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the codes clear in the heater/ac unit or did any codes come right back when you cleared them and how did you try and clear them?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Hi Pete,
i pushed the reset and ec light together, then got codes by pushing the auto button, then hit reset. nothing cleared

What codes came up?

1=91. 2=91, 3=94, 4=94, 5=93, 6=181, 7=07 8= 96, 9 =27, 10=6.0, 11=2.1, 12=4.2, 20=3.2, 21=42, 22=00, 23=32, 24=13.3, 40=164, 41=91, 42=40, 43=136

When you clear them all of these came up again?

i dont think i cleared them properly bc the screen never went blank

Here is the procedure to read out the codes.Let me know if this is different then what you did do.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p6jv5dft5hhhwq0/dtc-10-10.gif?dl=0

i dont understand what otc and Hht arewhat is connect HHT and is it OTC or DTC..print is very small.

The HHT stands for hand held tester.This plugs into your vehicle to help read out the fault codes.My info does not show the codes you have posted above as compatible codes on this model here.The code numbers for your model range from 003 to 030.

What has to be done is to have a scan tool plugged into your model that can read all computers especially the heater/ac control to read out the codes.Then determined from there if the codes just need cleared out or if any are an issue needing diagnosed and repaired.Low freon was a big one and the dealers HHT tool can reprogram it to where the system no longer checks for low freon to correct this issue here..

But without knowing what codes are set this makes it difficult to say for sure from here on what needs repaired or replaced or if the codes just need erased with the HHT or compatible scan tool.

If you start at step 3 in the chart I posted it should walk you through checking the codes if you want to try and obtain them manually and let me know what codes are set.Step 9 erases them.Only possible after the codes are read out.NO HHT or scan tool is needed if you start at step 3.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

ok thanks Pete. i will try it and rate you.

Your welcome

ec light went off but blowing warm air

Do you have it on cold with the ac on now?EC off

both right and left side are set on low

O.k.,can you restart the vehicle and see if it still blows warm air?

the auto light on both sides are onok i will restart it

What is the outside temp where your vehicle is sitting?

still warm

If you have an outside temp display what does it show for outside temp and what is the actual outside temp your vehicle is sitting in?

about 85

Do you have an outside temp display that shows an outside temp reading at all in your vehicle and if so what is the reading?

it says 100F but it is not 100outside.

O.k.,most likely due to engine heat this is o.k.

O.k. run steps 3 through 8 again and see what codes come up and post them here.

i got e61=416. e61=234 e61=241

These look to be translated to the freon fill level.Did you make sure the ac was properly evacuated and recharged with the exact amount of freon it holds?

i have no idea if it was done properly. i took it to a place yesterday and they said they put freon in

I did some more research on this here.

Code 234 is a faulty sun sensor in the dash

Code 241 is incorrect freon level

Code 416 is a faulty circulation pump

Code 234 and 241 will cause the ac issue you have here.I would have the sun sensor checked and replaced as needed as well as the freon re checked to see if it needs filled properly as they may not have filled it correctly.

The circulation pump wont cause this issue but can fail which can cause issues with colder air at idle when using the heater.

Thanks Pete

only one code showed this tome e416
how do i set the normal temp?

It may take time for the others to come back the more you drive it the more faults it may pick up on.I suspect overall that it may just be under filled with coolant.

To set the temp you set to the lowest setting making sure ec is off and if there is an ac button use it to turn on the ac.If there is not then it should turn on on its own if its working properly.

Thanks Pete

left side says d. and right side says FF
what do i do next

It is possible with all of the codes that set originally and with the display showing this now that the heater/ac control on the dash has failed.This will cause false codes like this here as well as this no cold air issue you see here.

Unfortunately I do not show a test procedure to pinpoint if this is in fact the cause here.You will need to have this checked into/tested further to see if the control on the dash needs replaced and this may be best done by a dealer or repair center in your area that can diagnose and repair this model here as they will have the correct diagnostic equipment and an HHT to check and test this.

Thanks Pete

ok. ty

Your welcome

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic