Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

How can I tell if the AC compressor is bad. the clutch spins

Customer Question
freely. It doesn't engage only...
How can I tell if the AC compressor is bad. the clutch spins freely. It doesn't engage only codes shown were B1459 and the sun sensor code which I understand are common fault codes that don't effect the operation. What should I check next?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
10/6/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- check that you have full Freon , if the system below 25 % compressor want kick in

if you hook up the ac test gauge what is the low side showing for pressuer 100 psi and up .

go to the compressor relay and jump it see if compressor kicks in

2- ir you unplug the compressor connector and give straight power see if it will kick in

3- how the system stopped , was working good & cold & suddenly stopped or gradually started to get warm and then compressor stopped

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was between 30 and 35psi on the low side as I remember. I have no way to test the high side. Where is the compressor relay? Next to the firewall? Or under the seat? I bought the car with no AC previous owner told me it worked I think he lied.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will put power to compressor in a bit.

oh i m sorry , but 30 35 psi with car off on low side , means you low of freeon

let me check relay location for you be right back

there is no relay for the 98 e320 in this system

check under hood fuse box

fuse # 7,8 & 4 . should 10 amp ,20 amp & 7.5 amp

the ac module in the dash is the control for the compressor

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

5d869c89-d4ee-458d-a4ba-...gif5d869c8...gif1396c185-98ae-401e-b043-...gif1396c18...gif3e86e4d3-9806-4b08-bc94-...gif3e86e4d...gif04b10c93-35b1-4c65-833e-...gif04b10c9...gif

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technicianv

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat