sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2011 ML350 with 116,000 went into limp mode on a short trip.

Customer Question

2011 ML350 with 116,000 went into limp mode on a short trip. Engine would only rev to a certain RPM, transmission shifted fine through all the gears. I can't remember the warnings on the dash, but the codes were for low boost pressure and something about he egr. Made it home, about a***** then had it towed to local shop (independent not MB). Until the code, it had been leaking and I knew it needed oil cooler seals. So the shop was going to change the oil cooler seals, and try to see what was wrong with it. When they got it apart, the turbo was bad ( alot of slop in the shaft). Put on new turbo, and put it all back together. Now it cranks and runs fine, but still seems to be in limp mode. No codes, no lights. They say they engine is seizing, that it is not in limp mode. They say they can tell because the crank is hard to turn manually with a pull handle, even when they take the belts off. Its not making any noises, and the oil doesn't have metal in it. I think it is still in limp mode, but not coding, maybe a sensor is malfunctioning. They are pricing me a replacement engine (salvage). What should I do now?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the engine is physically hard to turn because of an internal failure but if you aren't/weren't having any abnormal engine noises then I have a hard time believing that's what is causing your symptoms.

Are there any abnormal noises when the engine is running?

Is the vehicle at a dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No abnormal noises before, during, or after. No metal in oil. Not at dealership, at independent shop.

Have you not driven the vehicle to know the current symptoms firsthand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I will tomorrow. What should I look/listen for. And what should I ask?

Listen for any abnormal engine noises. Note exactly what it's doing and whether it's a lack of power or a lowered rev limiter. If you have the means to check for fault codes yourself that would also be helpful.