Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I just heard from my mechanic, after a couple of weeks of

Customer Question
trying to determine the source...
I just heard from my mechanic, after a couple of weeks of trying to determine the source of the noise in my ML350, he determined that it is the transfer case. He said he can get me a used one with a 2 year warranty for around $700. This is not a Mercedes shop. Should I go for it?
JA: What year is your ML350?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, its my regular mechanic. We checked out bearings and tires, today he hooked up some type of microphone system to try to determine the source.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: They're in their 3rd year. They did see a small problem with one of the rear tires but it didn't account for the type of noise I was hearing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
9/21/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The transfer case can be a common component to fail.It has bearings in it that can fail as well as other internal mechanical components that can fail.A new transfer case from Mercedes is $5650.00.So if he can get a good one with a warranty like this for $700 that is a great deal and I would go for it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic