Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I need a remanufactured climate control unit for a grey

Customer Question
market 190E 2.0L made in...
I need a remanufactured climate control unit for a grey market 190E 2.0L made in 1984. Can you help with a source, and anticipated cost of installation? Part number: A***-***-****. Vin number for car also available.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
9/18/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post the vin number?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WDB2010241A064707 This number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The picture looks like the unit in my vehicle, however, it also looks like the unit(###) ###-#### that fits a 2.3L engine. Can you please provide the source for acquiring the Mercedes part number (A2018210911) manufactured for the Grey Market 190E 2.0L Mercedes? I have already submitted payment which has been processed. However I have not received an answer. Please do so ASAP

Hi Bob, the part number you are listing for the control unit is not a valid part number anywhere in the Mercedes EPC. I also do not show an 84 model having automatic climate control. When entering your vin number it comes up as having manual climate control. Have you tried using the later model control unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The part number I sent is directly off the part that's in the car and that car is definitely a 1984 with the 2.0L gas powered engine. My mechanic has indeed tried the part number(###) ###-####listed for the 2.3L gas powered 190E which is the configuration for the US market. The part does look like the picture you sent. What now Coach? (What is the Mercedes EPC)

The Mercedes EPC is the factory electronic parts catalog. When I enter your number into a search it comes up as invalid. Can you describe the problem you are trying to fix?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The EPC most surely has a data base the parts are listed from. Marty, as I have pointed out previously my car is a Grey Market Car. It is not powered by the 2.3L as most ALL of the US based cars do. It is powered (from the factory) with a 2.0L engine number 102,961. The 2.3L is powered by the 102,962 engine. The part actually functions with the exception of when the car is powered down with the A/C on. The part will drain the battery dead overnight. It did not do that originally. It has apparently shorted itself out over the years. I am concerned with leaving it thusly. I have a mechanic that has a set of electrical drawings and can rewire the part. I am told this part is also installed on the 126. I have not checked that out yet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I understand about the grey market car and I did enter the part number into the EPC database and it comes up invalid. Sometimes the part number on the unit is not the actual part number for the part. I'm curious about the diagnosis. When the car is switched off there is no power going to the pushbutton switch. How has he determined that the pushbutton unit is causing the problem? It sounds more like a fault with the wiring to the switch. There should be no power to the unit when the key is switched off therefore it could not drain the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Marty,
So sorry my response didn't make it back to you. However, in the "Just Answer" protocol, we have found that there is an apparent degraded diode in the unit that in fact is allowing for a circuit 30 which is draining the battery after about 8 hours. Accordingly we need to place a relay in the circuitry to comply with what you have described going from a 30 circuit to a 15 circuit. As I understand the 1984 190E's along with other models may well contain "prototype systems" and that this climate control unit may be an experimental part, which is why the part number may not be matching up. (I personally verified number) Bot***** *****ne is this: the number is ***** a diode has degraded allowing for power (30) to be fed back therefore draining the battery. Your last sentence is correct, "there should be no power to the unit" but there is! so we think we have a degraded diode. we will insert a relay to convert to power (15). NO POWER! If this is the explanation we can fix the existing climate control unit, at least make it usable. I am also told that the climate control unit on a Mercedes 126 would fit and fix the problem. Do you have any input on that bit of information? If so, get me one! Ha Ha...

Hi Bob, sorry for the wait I have been busy at the shop. I've searched every possible way for the operating unit and I keep coming up with the 201 830 03 85. What happened when you installed that unit? Did the climate control not function at all? The W126 unit is not interchangeable. It might be easier to determine where you are getting your power feeding back. I'd suspect the a/c compressor clutch or the auxiliary fan circuit. Locate the circuit and you can install a relay with a diode built in or install an inline diode.

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician