How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marty Your Own Question
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Category: Mercedes
Satisfied Customers: 53985
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Type Your Mercedes Question Here...
Marty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took my 2010 c300 to a repair shop and they told they

Customer Question

I took my 2010 c300 to a repair shop and they told they found an eorror code 062f component y3/8n4 (fully integrated transmission control (VGS) control unit) is car is having shifting problem gear 3 to 4 or 4 to 5. They recommend replacing the whole transmission. So my question here do i need to replace the transmission in order for my car function correctly or van i have them replace the transmission control unit?
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No i dont
JA: Are you fixing your C300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No im have mechanic working on my car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When i press the gas padel between 40 and 45 the rpm drops down below 2000 and then it rises over 3000
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** *****% of the time replacing the control unit will fix the transmission problem. In order to get a better idea as to whether the transmission should be replaced the technician should remove the transmission pan and inspect the pan and filter for metal shavings. If there is little or no debris in the pan I would be comfortable in just replacing the control unit. Keep in mind that when the control unit is replaced it must have software downloaded to it in order for it to function. If the shop does not have the capability to program the new control unit you will need to take the car to the Mercedes dealer or to a qualified independent Mercedes specialist. Additionally, unless the shop is authorized to purchase theft relevant parts from Mercedes they will not sell them the control unit. Also, a used transmission will not work in this car due to the fact that the control unit will not match the vin number of the vehicle. If a used transmission is installed you will still need to purchase a new control unit.

Let me know if you have any questions. Don't forget to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much do the control units run for?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

They have come way down in price. I purchased one today for $400. The prices will vary a little from model to model.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please don't forget to rate my service before you go as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.