Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I cant get the top down and the switch light is flashing the

Customer Question
windows wont go down abd...
I cant get the top down and the switch light is flashing the windows wont go down abd I can hear it triing to run, if the windows are down and I push it to close it will roll the windows up
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: when you start the car it lights up for a second, when you try to open the roof it flashes
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 98 SLK 230
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just got it from a friend who had passed away and cleaning it for his wife, he had it down all the time I just dont know what Im doing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
9/5/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok so if the roof has not worked in a long time i want you to keep trying, also open the trunk and make sure the shade is pulled out and secure in the latches that hold it, its called a trunk partition/divider ,so that way nothing binds against the roof.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
shade?

sometimes pressure needs to build in the system. also sometimes if the roof is always in the same position the switches will stick and will not work until the top is manually raised.

yes the shade, open the trunk and in the front center of the trunk is a shade with a handle in the middle, it needs to be pulled ot towards the rear and set in the left and right holders.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I got the shade in the trunk pulled out and sitting in the groves
i thought the flashing light ment something was wrong
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do you manualy open it

ok so YOU had to pull the shade out?? was it not already pulled out?

the flashing light does mean that but there are ways around the flashing light.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no but I read that and tried it before we began to chat

if YOU had to pull the shade out then close the trunk and try the rood again.

oh ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
light still flashes

ok,in the owners manual it shows how to manually raise the top, do you have the manual?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

what we do in the shop is always manually open or close the roof and then retry the operation to see if it works, that way we know if it was just a sticking switch or not. ok ill get you the procedure. that way you can at least get it closed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to open it!!

ok i thought the top was down.. sorry

this will actually be easier :)

so do you see the plug at the roof headliner? its right in the center of the roof trim.

also just so we are on the same page, you press the switch forward to close the roof and rearward to open it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

ok so , heres the catch, when you press the switch to the rear the trunk does not open??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no you can hear it but no movement

the trunk must be closed for the roof to work, fyi, i just want to make sure we are on the same page.

ok, so remove the panel on the right side of the trunk, and lets make sure the pump has fluid in it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok what kid of fluid if its empty

if you have a cd changer its right behind that panel. ok good deal, at least for diagnostic purposes. ill get you the fluid type,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-OEM-Febi-Bilstein-ZH-M-Hydraulic-Fluid-1-Liter-000-989-91-03-10-/251380106957

benz part number (###) ###-#### you can get this at napa as well.. it will be a clear hydraulic fluid, not the pentosin blue kind, i know they sell it . so i fear that when you fill the fluid you will find a leak at a cylinder so at this point i would operate it slowly until you hear the fluid squirt out and then stop and see where it is coming from.

so let me know from there if you need more help, looks like all should work electronically, it seems it will be a mechanical issue like a leaking cylinder. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again , Lou P.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician