Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have plumes of smoke from exhaust on a 2001 clk320. It

I have plumes of white...
I have plumes of white smoke from exhaust on a 2001 clk320. It smells a bit like burning transmission fluid but can't be sure. Friends mention head gasket, but wondered if is a common quick fix problem as the car engine running smoothly?
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: I haven't checked, but can do. Any other things to check for whilst I do that? Haven't changed fluid since we've owned the car. The smoking issue has been sporadic until recently.
JA: Are you fixing your CLK320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Depends on what the problem could be. I am pretty good with a lot of things, but I won't attempt anything major as I don't have enough knowledge. I took the car off the road 9 months ago due to the smoking, and local mechanics don't seem interested in such an old merc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically need to know if the car is financially viable to repair as probably not worth much more than £1500 repaired.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm struggling with the system you're using here, one section says a free 7 day trial, the other has charged my PayPal £26 & not had an answer yet.
9/4/2016
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** cannot be transmission fluid since this transmission does not use a vacuum modulator. If you have plumes of white smoke coming from the exhaust the problem will either be moisture build up in the exhaust system or a bad head gasket or oil consumption. If the smoking goes away and the car runs fine and does not overheat the problem may just be normal moisture build up in the exhaust. If the smoking does not go away you should check the coolant level and oil level. Too much oil in the motor could cause smoking. If the coolant is low or if the coolant is getting pushed out of the reservoir with the cap removed the problem is likely going to be a bad head gasket.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Marty

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi MartyWhen I say plumes of smoke, I really men absolute plumes! So bad they all cars on the motorway behind me had to stop and wait for it to clear before they could drive through the fumes.I will check the levels of the coolant, etc, but were fine when I checked them when the problem occurred originally and have stayed the same since. I'm not expecting a miracle cure, but rather to be able to know what sort of faults to look out for.How do I contact you for further help should I need it?Matt W

Hi Matt, if it is billowing smoke this might be a fault with the engine breather system. If the breather system is plugged it will cause oil to build up in the breather and it will smoke badly. If the coolant level is staying good and the car is not overheating I would suspect the breather.

You can reply back to this question at any time if you need further assistance. I would just ask that you rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician