Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 99 Mercedes slk230 that has no power. The dealer

Customer Question

I have a 99 Mercedes slk230 that has no power. The dealer told me the super charger was not kicking in. He showed me that when the engine was revved the super charger would not spin. How can I fix this without changing the hole super charger? Can it be the clutch? Can it be electrical or power not getting to clutch? How can I test were the problem is coming from?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I will need the vin number to pull schematics for the supercharger to begin with.

I also need to know what you have in the way of testing equipment - MB STAR scan tool, DVOM, compression gage, etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I have the DVOM scanner that plugs in under driver side dash and a voltage tester only. I will get back with the vin number. Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Vin number is ***** In addition to supercharger problem, I'm having an issue with my Windows. The convertible Windows are suppose to lower slightly when doors open and they don't. Suppose to go down a hair when open and back up when door closed. Do you know what fuse or relay or how this can be fixed?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I will have to opt out as I dont pull up anything for it in my database. If another expert can help, they will post here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to re post the questions?
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello ***** here, different tech , a few things, the supercharger will not activate at idle the car must be under load to test the signal at the charger. also for the windows it sounds like they lost synchronization. you need to close the doors and gently press the window switch for each window in the up direction and hold it for a few seconds until the motor clicks off then the window should lower as designed. hope this helps, let me know your thoughts, Lou P.

the clutch for the super charger has wiring that mounts on the front timing cover in the center of the engine. we can check for power there but again the car needs to be driven or the clutch activated with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Did what you said with windows, but no results. Same thing, Windows don't drop down at all when i open door. Is there a fuse or something for this window switch that activates when door opens and closes.
Also, does car have to be in drive for supercharger to kick in, or would it kick in if I accelerate in park as well? Can I have someone rev engine while I put tester on wires to supercharger clutch? How many volts should I get? Can you walk me through the test procedure?

Like I did state before the car has to be in gear. And it will be 12 volts. As for the Windows the switches are at the door jamb stricker. Sometimes they break and fall in the door jamb. They are small black nubs that the door panel pressed against when the doors are closed.

Now if you have a stick shift that can be tricky. The clutch should work then. I'll get you a connector location but it won't be until tomorrow. I hope that is ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. So switched may have broke off for windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The door switches are in good shape. Any other suggestions to get Windows to function properly?

ok, so let me ask you this and i will also double check in my info, but do you remember your car dropping the windows down when the door is opened? does the automatic express down and up feature work (ill also check to see if your has auto up)??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the windows never worked since I had the car a little over a year now. But I checked the exact models and they all have Windows that lower slightly when the door is open because it's a convertible. And the dealer also confirmed that the windows are supposed to do that. 1999 Mercedes SLK230 compressor convertible

ok, i know that earlier models did not do that , let me check to see what the cutoff year was. if the roof works then the windows are learned and they are functioning correctly, that is the key, if the windows were not learned they would not drop down with door open and the roof would NOT work

ok the 2003 and 2004 have the synchronizing option for the windows in the owners manual so i feel confident saying that those have it. ill keep checking. not all convertibles did that off that bat. it was added later on, same on the clk and sl

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow. Ok. My Windows get screwed up because of that.

what do you mean? do they hit the roof or seals?

its always possible that the glass is adjusted way too high.

i cant find hard evidence of that function , so i am not gonna say 100%, just yet that you do or do not have it. but if the dome lights come on when the door is opened and then go off when closed that means the switches are doing their job, if the roof works that means the windows are in the proper position so that tells me all is well from a theoretical standpoint and functional standpoint.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Yea the Windows got the rubber seal and bend out if I don't manually lower them. Something is wrong. Would make sense if they lowered when open and raised when shut. Please let me know if you find out for sure.

will do, can you open the door and raise the window all the way up and send me a picture of the glass where it is positioned at near the rearview mirror?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With door open or closed?

open.