Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

01 MB C240 shifter locked at Park position. I have replaced

Customer Question
01 MB C240 shifter locked at...
01
MB C240 shifter locked at Park position. I have replaced brake switch and shifter itself but still have the same issue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
8/31/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. you done the right thing in replacing the brake switch because that does trigger it among other things, Now you may have to check the shift lock solenoid to see if you have power getting to it and if it is faulty or not. but in the mean time you can bypass the lock solenoid by removing the little cover on the over ride button and manually pushing it down. in the mean time I'll check the circuit .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that.I have replaced the whole shifter but still I have the same issue.

yes but did you check if the shift lock solenoid was getting voltage and ground to separate it from an electrical problem to mechanical one? here is a link that may help http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercedes-transmission-shifter-stuck-park/ once we determine if it's electrical or mechanical then we can proceed with further diagnoses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not getting voltage but the selonoid is good.

ok thanx then we know it's electrical . now I.m still working on getting the circuit for that lock solenoid I'm almost positive it has a lock sol fuse

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.I did check all the fuses and are all ok.

this system is a little different then what I'm used to so I will opt out so perhaps another expert may help you further good luck.

Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post the vin number please? Are you able to scan the engine, transmission and traction control modules for fault codes? Are there any warning lights on?

Got it, are you able to scan the engine, transmission and traction control modules for fault codes? Are there any warning lights on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's displays ABS system,Elect.Stabil Progrm.ESP

Ok, the the ABS/ESP control module sends the signal to the shifter to release the shift lock. You might have a bad ABS/ESP module or no power getting to the module. You really need to get a factory scan tool connected to the car to read out the codes in the ABS/ESP module. If you can locate a good used module you could substitute one and see if that fixes the problem.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember that you must rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician