Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 1969 280SL. My son was driving it and said it was

Customer Question
I have a 1969 280SL...
I have a 1969 280SL. My son was driving it and said it was driving beautifuly. When he came to my gate he turned the car off and put it in park to unlock the glove box to get the gate opener. The car started right up BUT he couldn't get it out of park and into drive. HELP.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have a 1998 SL500. My son feels because these cars are expensive to fix I should consider selling them. Both cars are great fun to drive. The SL 280 is just a Sunday car now but the SL*****a couple times a week. Am I better off selling both cars and buying a new car. I do have a 2015 genesis that I use when I have my grandkids. Can you help me make a good choice as to what to do?
8/21/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

Hi how are you .

as far as not getting into drive, it could be several reasons, the linkage broke ,shifter, did you inspect fluid ,seized etc.. it needs to be inspected

do you still have a warranty since only been 2000 miles ago on transmission?

was the transmission shifter loose or getting stuck prior to this happening ?

.

1- I will absolutely keep the 1969 280 SL since the value of this car keeps on going up and it is considered a classic car and very desirable

2- the 1998 SL500 might be your call on this one ,if you considering, paying insurance taxes ,and do you needed since you have the genesis etc.. depends on mileage of car how many miles ? but if it is one owner and your husband took care of it, then i dont see an issue for repairs if low miles if high mileage then this one i will consider selling

3-the genesis is more practical on daily base , the other are Sunday cars , but the 1969 SL is a keeper.

4- it is not that expensive to keep up the 1969 , I would store it in a garaged area if possible or at least covered and always service the fluids to keep in good condition and only used oem fluids and parts and keep all the records

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are all n the same page. The SL 500 has 96k. In very good condition. As for the SL 280 I love the car and think I will go ahead and sell the 500 and use the proceeds toward the repairs on the 280.

That will be perfect idea , do not let go of the 280 SL:), I will take care of this car ,it will be worth a lot of money soon

Good Luck

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,Just reply back here and we can continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please dont forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated for our time

Thank You

Chad

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat