Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

No cold air; had Freon refilled and system doesn't seem to

Customer Question
hold the refrigerant. JA: Do the...
No cold air; had Freon refilled and system doesn't seem to hold the refrigerant.
JA: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?
Customer: No cold air from vents, when Freon was added, no leaks presented.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2001 ML 430
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took vehicle to Jiffy Lube, where they tried unsuccessfully to add Freon; their unit stated that the pressure wasn't holding
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: They suggested that I take it to a mechanic to look for leaks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
8/15/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, there are many places it can leak from - compressor seals at front or rear of it, condenser, expansion valve, evaporator, receiver/drier, high pressure or low pressure ac line, high or low pressure service port, or one of the seals at any of the line connections.

There is simply no way to tell you where it is leaking. It REQUIRES hands on testing. The system needs to be filled with refrigerant and florescent dye and then a black light used to trace the dye that will leak out to its source and at that time do the repair.

Cost range will be from $200 or so for a line up to $1200 for the evaporator.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager