Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

When I press the button roof on my 2001 CLK320, i can hear a

Customer Question

When I press the button for the roof on my 2001 CLK320, i can hear a clicking sound inside the door but the roof does not move to open
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, assuming that the luggage cover is in place and the roof is unlocked at the front the most likely cause of this problem is either loss of hydraulic fluid in the pump or a faulty pump or relay. You should first check the fluid level. Click here for instructions to check the fluid level. If the fluid level is okay the next step should be to scan the top control module for fault codes and to check to see if the pump is operational.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid level is ok, I removed the panel covering the pump. The relay seems ok. It closes when i apply power to it. How do i get the control module fault codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relay is the one mounted on the pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem started showing up intermittently at first. The last time i had to close it manually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the control module located.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The control unit is next to the pump. You need a Mercedes scan tool to read the codes. Does the pump run when you jump terminal 30 to 87 in the relay connector using a fused jumper lead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty, the pump started when i jumpered 30 to 87. I noticed a yellow cable going to the boot lock. Is that sensing the boot is open so not sensing when the boot is closed. The luggage cover switch seems to be set to open so that should not be an issue with the luggage cover removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops it looks like that yellow cable is for the Air bags
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You have to close the luggage cover switch in order for the pump to operate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started working then stopped. I had to close it manually since it would not go up further or down. I had to close it manually. The latch holding the back of the roof down grabbed but to pull the roof all the way tight i ended up jumping 30 and 87 for a second.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Okay, sometimes the roof will synchronize itself if you manually lower the roof then raise it with the switch again. First try opening it and see if it will open. If the pump is actually turning off midway I'd suspect a bad pump or relay or possibly a fault with the wiring to the luggage cover switch.