Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2010 E 550 and I'm having trouble with the right

Customer Question

I have a 2010 E 550 and I'm having trouble with the right passanger side of my airmatic system. It is lower than the left drivers side. I checked number 12 fuse and number 68 fuse. I can raise the car with car lift button
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '10 Mercedes?
Customer: E 550 4matic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the #12 and #68 fuses
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just got new tires and I noticed that the car was lower on the right side
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also had a garage put my car on their scanner and there were no faults with the airmatic system. The Tech tried to calibrate the right side but that did'nt work as planned.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how much lower is it than the other side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe an inch inch

Ok if you can get exact measurements and maybe a few pictures that can help. They would mean the difference between needing a shock and just needing a level sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it. The funny thing is when I drive it the car seems fine. Can I change the level sensor myself? Is there one for each tire? Can I get you the pics tomorrow it's raining really hard right now?

Yes no worries. We are not times. Reply when you can. Changing the sensor is rare it's usually broken or sticking linkage. That is why it's important to get the level. I want the level measured from the center of the tire on the ground to the center of the fender above the tire. Then let measure the other side. Let it sit a few hours and then remeasure. Then start the car and remeasure. That will tell me if the shock is leaking or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. What's the going rate for a shock replacement.

I'll have to check. I haven't had to replace one on this chassis yet. If you give me your vin I can get you the part number and labor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin WDDHF9AB5AA230768
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just measured from top of the tire to bottom of the wheel well. Left side, both wheels 3" the right side is 2 1/4" both wheels. When I get to work. I will take measurements from the ground to wheel well. On all wheels. I'll take it when I stop and a few hours after I stop the car. And then I will turn the car on and take measurements on all four wheels.

ok , i am not concerned about the difference from front to rear, just side to side fyi. but yes, from ground to fender lip. perfect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st photo is the left rear the second photo is the lower right side. Does the sensor control both wheels?

quite the difference. ill check the diagrams to see if there is one sensor or one for each wheel.

yes you have one sensor per wheel. was there any work done before this? also another test is i want you to raise the car with the raise button and see if you can hear a leak or if the right rear does not raise as much as the left or if it keeps raising and lowering and raising and lowering. if the shock or airbag blew out the rear side would drop and not come up, if it were to leak the side would lower and raise when the compressor kicks on, if it is the sensor or the level valve block the level will change but the height difference will be the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No work except the new tires. So when I raise the car with the raises button the car goes up on both sides but the left is still higher than the right. The difference is 3/4 from left to right. No leaking sound either. And the car is maintaining the lift just the right is lower.

ok did you have an alignment done ? and did you notice this right after the tires?

here is a OK picture of the sensors. they can be tweaked or adjusted somewhat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think I should get an alignment or change the sensor? Or both.

i dont have an answer yet lol, it depends on the results of the measurements.

any luck? i have not heard from you. let me know if you need more assistance.