Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

No sound from Radio in R350 - but it's on and the cd

Customer Question

No sound from Radio in R350 - but it's on and the cd exchanger is not coming on. Which fuses or fusible links should be checked?
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: I didn't check yet. There are two fuse boxes.
JA: What year is your R350?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I had same problem when on vacation last year. Just cannot remember which fusible link and fuses
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. The cd exchanger is not coming on. My sons started using the Aux cord to play from their phones.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok so when pressing all of the radio functions, nav, sat, cd, cd changer, is the cd changer the only one that does not work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else reads on the command system, but there are no lights on the CD changer in the glove compartment. There is no sound at all.

ok thanks, ***** ***** what i needed to know, give me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter said when she was driving the car, the radio was playing then it just cut off with no sound. It stayed on, but no sound. She just told me.

that is exactly what will happen, all the audio system parts are linked together so if something fails it kills the sound to the radio. ok so fuse 14 in the fuse box on the passenger side of the dash, its a little fuse box where the door meets the dash. pull the fuse, check it, if on reinsert it and the cd changer should come back to life, if not the cd changer failed and needs replaced. let me know if this helps, Lou P.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will go out and check it

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The command center is not even recognizing the CDC exchanger on the command system display. Still no sound - I will replace the 7.5 fuse. It looks fine though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cd exchanger did not come on

OK, then the cd changer failed. it will need replaced, or even further diagnosis to make sure the connector has power to it. this is not as easy as the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it occurred before, it was narrowed down to a fusible link under the hood in that fuse box. Could you narrow down that number or location of that link in the fuse box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the CDC exchanger does not work, how will I get sound for the radio?

i told you the fuse for the cd changer, we do not use fusible links. and no, you will not get sound until the cd changer is fixed :(

if it was a fuse in the engine bay you would have way more issues then a cd changer and radio.

sorry, like i said the only way to confirm is to check for power and ground at the connector to the cd changer, but the glove box has to be removed to access all of that. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.