Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2000 s500 I was charging battery and turned the key

Customer Question

I have a 2000 s500 I was charging battery and turned the key on to put windows down and got sidetracked I had to leave for a hour when I came back I realized I had left key on now my windows don't work and instrument cluster doesn't turn on key turns but nothing happens I had to close Windows using key on door handle when u open door instrument cluster lights up for 30 sec then turns off other then that when u put key in nothing turns on turn key and nothing not a sound under hood zero
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park but no p on instrument cluster
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just checking fuses & relays appear all good
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok this is an odd issue, , may i have your vin please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WDBNG75J1YA121698

ok thanks, ***** ***** you charge the battery and make sure voltage was good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i know you where charging the battery when this happened i wanted to make sure the voltage is ok now, ok so its possible that a fuse blew in one of the 2 prefuse boxes, there are 2 boxes that have very high amperage fuses inside,. the easiest way to tell if a prefuse is blows is to check for power at all 3 fuse boxes, use a test light and verify there is power at all the fuses at all the fuse boxes, left and right side of engine bay and under the back seat on the passengers side. you can access that one by removing the small plastic plate that is under the seat that has the floor lighting inside of it. let me know what fuse boxes do not have power and i can tell you where to look next .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check do all fuses have power or just some of them until they are actually being used i.e. Headlights or anything else that is not on
Sorry you are correct not all fuses will have power until the circuit is activated. so let me know what fuse numbers in what fuse boxes do not have power so I can go over the diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok rear fuse box all have power except f / 57 or 58 Pass side fuse box no power on f/29,30,31,32,34,37,40,46,47,48,49. Fuse box on drivers side no power on f/ 1,2,10,11,12,16,17,18,19,20,21
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U told me to tell u what fuses weren't getting power so I told u now I'm waiting for your answer back problem is not fixed

Ok sorry for the delay I had a family event tonight. I will go over the info in the morning and get you some info. That is good stuff so far much appreciated.

looking over fuse info now.

ok rear fuse box is ok

passenger side fuse box there is no key on power.

ok so on the left fuse box i want you to swap relay C with another relay and see if the car comes to life.

here is the diagram to show where relay C is at. make sure we mark it so we keep track of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3hu2zq55vcth3p2/220%20left%20front%20sam%20fuse%20box(2).jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Lou switched around relay still the same R u out of answers

If not that relay then the issue can be the ignition switch for not turning on that circuit. That would be it.

Either the ignition switch or failed key. But the ignition switch would not turn if it was the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be able to stop the power to the engine compartment from the key and instrument cluster

That relay is activated when the ignition switch sends the signal that the key is turned. Once that relay is activated all of the fuses that do not currently have power will now have power. If you remove the relay and jump power from the terminal 87-30 as labeled under the relay the car should come to life.

I'm currently away from my laptop. Let me see if we can try another thing. Maybe try this as well. Close the doors and lock and unlock the car. Then see if it comes to life. If not. Remove the positive and negative battery cable and touch them together. It will drain all the power of all the modules. Then connect the positive cable and then the negative cable and then see if the car comes to life.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried another EIS ,ECM,Shifter and it does the same thing I actually had 2 problems with this car I just was trying to fix the last one first before that I was messing with the climate control diagnostics and opened flaps or changed them I heard them move and after that it would not start from key would have to power starter relay to start car so while attempting to fix that is when the 2nd thing happened

Ok. All of that would have been good to know. I will opt out now. Nothing I have is helping.