Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My 1993 190e 2.6 will not shift to 4th/overdrive/D. It runs

Customer Question
fine on 3rd if I...
My 1993 190e 2.6 will not shift to 4th/overdrive/D. It runs fine on 3rd if I put it in 3rd, but wouldn't shift up to the next gear. It has 130K miles on it.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The transmission is as old as the car. I bought it when it had 60k miles several years ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: What is the break switch and where is it?
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: Model year is 1993
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I read about a switch under the carpet and found it to be working alright when I pressed on it. That is about it. I would like it fixed either at a shop or by myself. I am not a mechanic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It was working fine for many years until my son drove it with low transmission oil on one day. After that, I found it to be not shifting up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
7/5/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** problem is caused by low governor pressure. Sometimes the transmission valve body can be removed, disassembled and cleaned to repair the problem. If the valve body cleaning does not solve the issue you will need to have the transmission rebuilt. A valve body cleaning should run approximately $450 at a reputable transmission shop.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service in order for the website to credit me for answering your question.

Marty

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician