Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2008 Mercedes E550. The front drivers side airmatic

Customer Question
strut became defective and the...
I have a 2008 Mercedes E550. The front drivers side airmatic strut became defective and the front drivers side would sag when parked. Under warranty I went to my local Mercedes Benz dealership and the strut was replaced along with a front end alignment. When I took delivery of the car the car would wander and pull to the right when taking my hands off the wheel. It NEVER did this before even when the front drivers side strut failed. I complained and brought the car back to Mercedes. The tech then stated that this was probably due to the front tires being aftermarket and the rear shocks being blown or leaking. This is ridiculous. My front tires are in great condition and what the hell do the rear shocks have to do with the front end drifting to the right. Also the Mercedes tech left his wrench in my my engine bay and left an air induction hose dismantled on the drivers side of the engine. Real nice. What is causing my car to drift to the right which never happened before ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
6/18/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The pull is either being caused by incorrect alignment, possibly loose or worn suspension parts, abnormal tire wear, uneven tire pressure, or it may be a radial pull in one of the tires. It's very common for tires to cause a pull.

Has nothing been done to diagnose the issue?
Do you have a copy of the alignment readings from when it was last done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I do not have a copy yet of the alignment readings. I'm getting it tomorrow, 6/21/16. Mercedes says they are going to make it right. I don't think it's the tires because as I drove the car to the dealership with the faulty front drivers side strut it drove perfectly straight. Is is possible it's a bad alignment or having a new drivers side strut and a 2008 passenger side strut is causing the car to drift to the right ? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, it's possible that the alignment being incorrect is causing the pull. The most common symptom of incorrect alignment angles is a pull.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician